Thursday, March 12, 2015

China Day 8

March 12, 2015 – Day 8

We are still waiting on Theo’s passport to be issued.  We received his abandonment certificate today which is a big step and one of the reasons we needed the notary the other day.  Upon receipt we had to verify that it matched all of our previous referral paperwork.  As I read it I began to get chills when I got to the part about where he was found.  It all makes sense now.  The market, the toilet, the street corner.  I can visualize not only the place but the couple that picked him up out of the back of the tricycle.  It is really such a miracle that we had that experience.  John and I still are talking about it. 

Today we went to the local Zoo.  It was much bigger than our local zoo at home;  about a 4 mile walk around the zoo.  John has become the Theo carrier…..I never thought I would put him down but my back just can’t take it.  I have no idea how much he weighs but I know it is more than Nora and it could possibly be more than Everett.  He is HUGE! John and I really enjoyed the zoo especially the tigers. We ran into this lady who told us she was 98 years old.  She told us that her only son and husband died and was now living in the streets.  It was sad.  We gave her a few yuan. 

98 year old woman from the zoo


Bengal Tiger from the zoo




Theo  is having a lot of trouble sleeping in the crib.  He went from being an amazing sleeper the first night to now wanting to be held all the time!  I think he realizes now we will hold him when he cries which he has never experienced before.  This afternoon after 2 hours of trying to get him to nap in the crib we threw in the towel and laid him down in the bed next to us.  He fell asleep in no time flat.  We are still learning his coping mechanisms which is what we expected living in an orphanage. He grinds his teeth when we are around a lot of stimulation or outside, and tries to lay down when you sit him on the floor.  I can’t wait to blog about him in 6 months.  I know he is going to make tremendous strides with a families love!




After nap we took a walk around the block of our hotel for some fresh air.  We are amazed at the number of bike/scooters there are.  People drive on sidewalks, or pretty much anywhere you could imagine.  You have to be very careful walking otherwise you will get hit.  Everyone!!! Everyone blows their horn.  Apparently according to our guide blowing your horn here just means “excuse me miss” (in the most polite way).  I explained that in America when you blow your horn it generally means you are very angry and you may even get a one finger salute. 




We walked by a church on our walk.  It was refreshing to see the Cross.  I was surprised to see the church as apparently it is not very common.  We walked inside.  There was no lights but the doors were wide open.  A little girl playing on the steps and man filling water bottles inside. 





Tomorrow we receive Theo’s Chinese passport and fly to Guangzhou. It is about a 3 hour flight to south China.   There Theo will have a medical exam and on Monday he will have his US consulate Visa appointment.  Once we hit U.S. soil he will be considered a US citizen!  It has been a crazy adventure so far and were over the half way point!


















No comments:

Post a Comment